Wildflower Hunter

Anything goes where the wildflower grows. I'm new to the beautiful world of wildflowers. I'd like to share what I've learned and what I hope to learn along the way.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Home Sweet Home

We're back from Colorado and while it's always nice to be home, we sure do miss the Rockies. Despite a bad case of altitude sickness, I really enjoyed hiking and exploring the downtown areas. In addition to hiking, we visited Minturn, Vail Village, Breckenridge, Edwards, Avon, and Beaver Creek while we stayed in Vail. We had a great condo which really made us feel at home. We were even able to cook breakfast almost every day and dinner twice. We purchased some delicious fruit flavored pasta at the Minturn Farmers Market our first morning there and loved it so much we went searching for the vendor at the Vail Farmers Market the next day. Luckily we found him and we purchased some chipotle flavored pasta. As for hikes, we took a few in the Vail area which should have been easy for us but were a bit difficult due to the elevation. Along the trails, we found lots of flowers. We saw Scarlet Gilia (also known as Sky Rocket), Harebells, Cow Parsnip, Fireweed, Mountain Gentian and twice we saw the rare Alpine Gentian. That's just the beginning. I'll post those pictures and there will be more to come in the next few days.


Scarlet Gilia AKA Sky Rocket


Harebell


Cow Parsnip


Fireweed


Mountain Bog Gentian


Alpine Gentian

3 Comments:

  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger LauraHinNJ said…

    Cow Parsnip is poisonous right?

    Love the fireweed. Wish that grew here.

    Sounds like a great trip.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Sabrina R. Reid said…

    Seems like it was worth the altitude problems, you got some
    beautiful pictures! Looking foward to seeing more. Chipotle flavored pasta sounds delicious!

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Joy said…

    I did a search on blogspot and found your wildflower blog. Looks great! I know it is hard to blog about wildflowers once winter has come. (I started one and abandoned it already too.) I thought you might be interested in my "Wildflowers in Winter" theme on my blog to help get us through the winter months, until we can get back out looking for them again. Stop by my blog for all the details. Each post you make on the weekly topic will enter your name in a drawing for a set of wildflower note cards made by me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home