Wildflower Hunter

Anything goes where the wildflower grows. I'm new to the beautiful world of wildflowers. I'd like to share what I've learned and what I hope to learn along the way.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Good Books

For anyone just learning about wildflowers (like me), there are a few great books you might be interested in:

The Book of Field and Roadside by John Eastman, illustrated by Amelia Hansen. A highly informative book about plants often found in fields and along the side of the road.

The Secrets of Wildflowers by Jack Sanders. A very cool book about flowers in chronological order from late winter/early spring skunk cabbage through end-of-the-year gentians.

Peterson Field Guides - Wildflowers by Roger Tory Peterson and Margaret McKenny. My quick and easy go-to book when I want to look up a flower by color.

Newcomb's Wildflower Guide by Lawrence Newcomb, illustrated by Gordon Morrison. My absolute FAVORITE field guide! Look up flowers using the excellent key in the beginning and quickly become familiar with flower terms.

John Eastman has other similar books you may find interesting, such as The Book of Forest and Thicket and The Book of Swamp and Bog. Jack Sanders has another book called Hedgemaids and Fairy Candles that I don't own but would like to. The Peterson and Newcomb field guides can be found for other areas of the country. Mine, of course, are for the northeast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home